Latest Art Work

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Madeleine

I wanted to watch Madeleine purely because of the word Madeleine. The first time I took note of this word, it was mentioned in My Lovely Sam Soon. She mentioned that in Remembrance of the Past, the author started remembering all his childhood memories after tasting a Madeleine.

"She sent out for one of those short, plump little cakes called petites madeleines, which look as though they had been moulded in the fluted scallop of a pilgrim's shell. And soon, mechanically, weary after a dull day with the prospect of a depressing morrow, I raised to my lips a spoonful of the tea in which I had soaked a morsel of the cake. No sooner had the warm liquid, and the crumbs with it, touched my palate than a shudder ran through my whole body, and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary changes that were taking place…at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory…"

— Remembrance of Things Past, V. 1, Swann's Way.

Until today, I have yet to read that book. But it is a book that I am very curious about.

Madeleine is a Korean movie, screened in 2002.

The female lead is a hyper active girl who treats everything as game. The first time she saw the male lead, she played a game with him to figure out her name before she cut finish his hair and she will not charged him. Else he has to pay double.

After a few meetings, she requested for a month long dating. In this one month, neither of them can ask for a breakup. After one month, they will both break up amicably.

When they first met, the girl said
"You love me don't you?
You waited for me 40 minutes."

"You really love me don't you?
You smile at whatever I say."

So cute and daring for a girl to say that haha.

Their second date was cycling in the rain. Before that, she asked him why did he agree to the "Dating game" because he is always so logical. He replied because there are memories he want to share with her. And cycling in the rain is part of the memories. Sweet! He also felt that he is cleansed while riding in the rain.

She said that she is 25 now and not ready to be an adult. He told her to relax. To him, he want to savour life 100%. To her, she just want to speed run like a 100 metre dash. They were worlds apart in their thinking. They were worlds apart in their interests. The guy is a bookworm, the girl is a gamer.

I guess opposites attract.

Oh one of the character is a band singer. The songs are not bad actually.

0 comments: